Overcomers

 


Stephanie and I had the privilege of listening to the testimony of one of our Bible Study members this past weekend. As I listened to the story of her life, I found it so hard to see the evil that captured her for so many years. What I saw in front of me had no remnant of that former life. She is such an overcomer! 

She spent 25 years in addiction to various powerful drugs, starting with Marijuana, then moving to cocaine, meth, and heroin. She explains her existence was purely to get her next fix. She describes her life on the run from authorities, living in seclusion, blinds pulled, wearing disguises when going out to get drugs, and doing things she would rather not talk about. She spent much of her life controlled by drugs. The only time she was clean was when she was in jail or prison. The final straw was a moment when she and her husband both shot up heroin; she passed out, and he passed away. She woke with his dead body on top of her. Through her tears, she recounted this horrific scene. It was a picture of death, darkness, and the complete absence of God that was painted by an obvious child of the Most High King. What a contrast!

This lovely lady spent the last four years of her life in prison. She got out in December of last year. While incarcerated, she found Jesus, began diving into his word, and was baptized by water and with the power of the Holy Spirit. The darkness fled from her, and now I can only describe her as a light for Jesus! 

There are many stories just like hers, people who have overcome the darkness to prevail ONLY because of the power of Jesus Christ.

I was reading in Ezekiel this morning about Zadok and his family. During the exile, many of the priests fell to the power of evil and were overcome by the presence of the enemy. They worshipped idols and did detestable things in the sight of the Lord, but not the family of Zadok.

"However, the Levitical priests of the family of Zadok continued to minister faithfully in the Temple when Israel abandoned me for idols. These men will serve as my ministers. They will stand in my presence and offer the fat and blood of the sacrifices, says the Sovereign Lord. They alone will enter my sanctuary and approach my table to serve me. They will fulfill all my requirements." (Ezekiel 44:15,16)

Zadok defeated the enemy. We are not given details of how they accomplished this rare feat, but they remained faithful to the Lord against overwhelming odds. There are countless examples in the Bible about overcoming. As I have been studying the book of Revelation, many in the seven churches were overcomers. They stood up to the evil that surrounded them. They were in the midst of a society that embraced Satan. Two of those, Smyrna and Philadelphia, stand out in the sea of evil. There are great rewards for those who overcome the power of universal evil in this world.

"Because you have obeyed my command to persevere, I will protect you from the great time of testing that will come upon the whole world to test those who belong to this world. I am coming soon. Hold on to what you have, so that no one will take away your crown. All who are victorious will become pillars in the Temple of my God. and they will never have to leave it. And I will write on them the name of my God, and they will be citizens in the city of my God -- the new Jerusalem that comes down from heaven from my God. And I will also write on them my new name." (Revelation 3:10-12)

This message to the church in Philadelphia is a glimpse into the future of the overcomer. A reward is coming and we have nothing to fear.  God will protect us. For those that are trapped in the darkness, there is light. That light is still available to you. It just takes one spark, and the fiery brilliance of Jesus Christ will come to you. 

Be an OVERCOMER!

Comments