Thinking about Jesus!

 


A book I read this summer, "The Optimism of Grace: How Grace Changes Everything" by Cliff Sanders, really has me thinking and exploring more of God's Character, our interactions with him, and helping others expand their relationship with God. One of the quotes in the book came from A.W. Tozer:

"What comes into our minds when we think about God is the most important thing about us." I want to slightly re-phrase this question.

"What comes into our minds when we think about Jesus?"

That quote has stuck with my over the past several months. As I was reading the book of Hebrews this morning, I was thinking about that question. 

The Book of Hebrews was written to a group of former Jews who were thinking about abandoning Jesus and going back to their Hebrew roots. The Author is trying to help answer Tozer's question. 

Some of them thought of Jesus as an Angelic being. But, we are told he is much greater than that. Some thought he was another Moses. Other thought he was just another High Priest. 

"And so, dear brothers and sisters who belong to God and are partners with those called to heaven, think carefully about this Jesus whom we declare to be God's messenger and High Priest. For he was faithful to God, who appointed him, just as Moses served faithfully when he was entrusted with God's entire house. But Jesus deserves far more glory than Moses, just as a pserson who builds a house deserves more praise than the house itself.. For ever house has a builder, but the one who built everything is God." (Hebrews 3:1-4)

The writer of Hebrews wants us "to think carefully about this Jesus." So what do you think about Jesus? Jesus is God so Tozer's statement is easily modified. 

When I think about Jesus, I think about his insatiable desire for us to love each other and to love God. He greatly desires a vibrant relationship with us. We can't have that kind of relationship unless we spend time with him. So, he desires time with us. 

Yes, Jesus is our High Priest. Yes, Jesus is greater than the Angels. Yes, Jesus is greater than Moses. But, when I think about Jesus, I think about a friend, a loving, kind, compassionate friend. I think of a friend who wants the best for me, who comes along side when the weight of the world is on my shoulders. I think of a friend who rejoices at our celebrations, who mourns with us when we mourn, who feels our pain, and knows exactly what we are going through because HE IS ONE OF US! AND then in the midst of these friendship thoughts, I realize this friend I have is also the Creator of the Universe. This friend is eternal and knows everything past, present, and future. This friend guides and directs history at the same time, he guides my steps. 

The primary character trait of this FRIEND is Love. Yes, in the background sits his power, his judgment, his righteousness, and his sovereignty. Those traits are always there, but I primarily see His love. 

What comes to your mind when you think about Jesus?  


Comments