Check your Priorities!

 


I just can't imagine people who live a boring life in retirement. That is certainly not me, and I am okay with that! I love what the Lord has called me to do. I drove nearly 500 miles on Tuesday this week from meetings north of Fort Wayne to Indianapolis and various Bible studies throughout the day. We are hosting 9 different small groups or individual discipling sessions nearly every week. That doesn't include our work with a Fort Wayne Church plant, a premarital counseling session, and working on fundraising for my granddaughter's trip to Florida. Oh, Yeah... don't forget about our trip to see my CMA family this weekend in Frankfort, IN, at our annual State Rally. Sometimes I feel like a ping-pong ball! 

I can truly say I love the busyness of the schedule and all that God brings each day. But, as I was reading Haggai today, I was thinking about priorities. My question is, "Are my priorities God's priorities?" The nation of Israel was returning from exile, and they were doing the natural thing; they were rebuilding their own homes. But, it seems they were going above and beyond to make their homes comfortable and NOT spending much time focusing on the Lord.

"This is what the Lord of Heaven's Armies says: Look at what's happening to you! Now, go up into the hills, bring down timber, and rebuild my house. Then I will take pleasure in it and be honored, says the Lord. You hoped for rich harvests, but they were poor. And when you brought your harvest home, I blew it away. Why? Because my house lies in ruins, says the Lord of Heaven's Armies, while all of you are busy building your own fine houses. It's because of you that the heavens withhold the dew and the earth produces no crops." (Haggai 1:7-10)

Yes, the Temple was a disaster, but I think the Lord was not concerned about this building as much as he was concerned about their relationship with him. Besides the Temple being in ruins, they also were so focused on their daily lives that God was no longer a priority. He was on the back burner!

What about you? Where does God sit on your list of things to do today? Where should he be? I think most of you would agree he belongs on the top of the list, not an afterthought. I am busy. Fortunately for me, I GET to spend more time with God than ever before in my life. I have the time, and the majority of my day is focused on serving him. BUT, I still need to make sure God's priorities are mine. Even though I am doing GOOD THINGS, maybe he is calling me to do something different. I always have to listen to him. I need to listen for his guidance. I need to make sure HIS priorities are my priorities. 

I praise God; he continues to use me, and I look forward to all he has in store, even in the craziness of a busy schedule!


Comments