Do Bible Scholars get it wrong?

 


For the last several weeks I have been deep in the study of the book of Revelation. That has led me to Daniel, Ezekiel, 1 Thessalonians, and many other scriptures that Bible scholars link to this last book of the Bible. I am certainly fascinated by the line-by-line exploration of scripture. I love delving into the ancient Greek and Hebrew within the context of each verse. The more I study, the more I learn what I do not know! LOL! AND these challenging scriptures have gotten me thinking about the purpose of the Bible. 

What is the purpose of the Bible?

So, as usual, I started to research how others answer this question. The answers typically say scripture teaches us about God's character. The Bible teaches about ourselves, it gives us a guide on how we are to live, and it equips us to serve in the Kingdom of God! 

"All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It corrects us when we are wrong and teaches us to do what is right. God uses it to prepare and equip his people to do every good work." (2 Timothy 3:17)

Sometimes Bible scholars get so tangled in the weeds of scripture they forget the purpose of scripture. We see the "speck of dust" in the word, but don't sense the impact of the "plank" on our lives. What is the big picture. What does the scripture teach me about God, myself, and how am I to apply it?

As I was reading through Daniel chapters 11 and 12 today I took a very different approach. (partially because I am inadequate at knowing world history and how it relates to these two chapters) Instead of looking into the details, I looked at these two chapters as a whole. Instead of trying to figure out who is the North and the South, I just wanted to answer the three questions listed above. (I did find out the North Kingdom is the Seleucid Empire and the South is the Ptolemaic Kingdom in Egypt and the despicable ruler of the south was Antiochus IV Epiphanes. I couldn't resist!)

What does this scripture teach me about God?

God uses the imperfect kingdoms and leaders of this world to refine, cleanse, and purify his people.

"But he said [Gabriel], 'Go now Daniel, for what I have said is kept secret and sealed until the time of the end. Many will be purified, cleansed, and refined by these trials. But the wicked will continue in their wickedness, and none of them will understand. Only those who are wise will know what it means.'" (Daniel 12:9,10)

What does this scripture teach us about mankind?

Power, deceit, disloyalty, pride, violence, failure, and sin control our leaders. Good leaders will not survive in this fallen world.

"Wise leaders will give instruction to many, but these teachers will die by fire and sword, or they will be jailed and robbed. During these persecutions, little help will arrive, and many who join them will not be sincere. And some of the wise will fall victim to persecution. In this way, they will be refined and cleansed and made pure until the time of the end, for the appointed time is still to come." (Daniel 11:35)

How do I apply these scriptures?

We need to continue to fight the good fight. We cannot rest right now, but there will be rest in the end. Don't give up. We don't need to have it all figured out right now. Our reward is still to come!

"As for you, go your way until the end. You will rest, and then at the end of the days, you will rise again to receive the inheritance set aside for you." (Daniel 12:13)


Comments