I just don't get it!

This may be a terrible thing to admit, being a pastor and someone who has a Master's Degree in Biblical Studies..... Sometimes when I read the Bible, I just don't understand. 

I have been in deep study of the book of Revelation and with that comes the study of many Old Testament books filled with prophetic writings, none more important than the book of Daniel. Daniel contains some of my favorite childhood stories. Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego is a great story of faith in the face of fierce persecution. Daniel in the Lion's Den is another favorite. When you get to the end of the book of Daniel you get into some amazing writings with symbols, images, and visions. In at least two places Daniel says, "I just don't get it!"

"Then I, Daniel, was overcome and lay sick for several days. Afterward I got up and performed my duties for the king, but I was greatly troubled by the vision and could not understand it." (Daniel 8:27)

"The man dressed in linen, who was standing above the river, raised both his hands toward heaven and took a solemn oath by the One who lives forever, saying, 'It will go on for a time, times, and half a time. When the shattering of the holy people has finally come to an end, all these things will have happened.' I heard what he said, but I did not understand what he meant. So I asked, 'How will all this finally end, my lord?'" (Daniel 12:7,8)

In my studies of the book of Revelation and subsequent study of Daniel, I have run into quite a bit of disagreement about interpretation of scripture. Some of these "battles" are really intense and churches have been divided because of it. I can't help but believe that our Father in Heaven cries when he watches these intense debates. I feel like we miss the point when we get bogged down in the minutia of individual scriptures. 

I watched a great video about planting churches yesterday at a quarterly meeting. The main statement was -- THE CHURCH IS NOT THE GOAL. The speaker, Vance Pitman, made a great point. ALL the great churches of the Bible are no longer in existence. Most are just ancient ruins visited by tourists. I often feel the same way about reading scripture. ARE WE MISSING THE POINT! Are we missing the grand story of redemption when we get bogged down with dates and times? Are we losing our grip on the love of JESUS when we argue about seven years, raptures, and millenniums? Do we really need to know WHEN Jesus is returning, when we are meeting him face to face? OR, are we just supposed to praise him for that wonderful promise, a promise that he will bring us safely to eternity with him?

It is ok NOT to understand all the little details in the Bible. YES, pursue knowledge, continue to study scripture, but don't forget the grand picture of God's perfect grace, his perfect love, and his perfect sacrifice on the cross that we might live in eternity with him. 

Thank You, Lord, for your complex word that offers such a simple message to us, your children. Even when I don't get it, I can feel your presence filling my heart, soul, and mind! 



 

Comments