Ministry at the Street Fair?

 


Imagine living with a carnival in your front yard. Well, that is US this week. As you can see by the picture above, the "Crazy Bus" is right outside our front door. I have endless corn dogs, apple-crisp, elephant ears, ice cream, lemon shake-ups, and a crazy assortment of food choices within a few steps of my front door. The food has been amazing and always is, even though it's a little pricey! So, what's the downside? When Stephanie and I tried to go to bed at ten o'clock last night the music and fun did not stop outside our front door! Eventually it died down, but there is a lot of activity that continues through most of the night. Us OLD PEOPLE need our sleep. LOL! BUT, WE LOVE IT!

We started serving FREE stuff at the Bluffton Street Fair last year and it has been exhausting and worth it. We serve free coffee, gatorade, water, AND most importantly, offer restrooms instead of port-a-johns! We are here to pray with people and to serve them in anyway we can. (Thanks to CMA for training me how I minister to people!) Each day is a little slow, except Saturday. Every night is REALLY busy. We also have a great place for people to come in and sit while they eat their fair food. Our crowd has been mostly high school and middle school kids along with grand-parents needing a break, pregnant ladies needing a bathroom, and some of the carnival workers! We offer something very RARE at a carnival, "something for free!"

I am amazed at the teens that stop in. They are so lonely. They love to talk and nearly every single one of them have been respectful and thanked us for what we are doing. We even have repeat customers from last year and are starting to build some great relationships with them. I don't think we give young people enough credit!

I started reading Ezra today and was struck by how much the older people were still looking back to the glory days.

"But many of the older priests, Levites, and other leaders who had seen the first Temple wept aloud when they saw the new Temple's foundation. The others, however, were shouting with joy. The joyful shouting and weeping mingled together in a loud noise that could be heard far in the distance." (Ezra 3:12-13)

I hear so many negative comments about the young people today. The older people, still living in the glory days of the past, weep because of the teens today, not me! I love them. I love their hearts and I love their inquisitive nature. When you sit down with them, they have a huge curiosity for things of God. They have questions and sometimes those questions are not easy questions. They are so confused by what seems to be right, when they know it is wrong. We are discipling some young people and I love their questions. Older adults could learn something from them. I am reminded of Paul's encouragement of a young Timothy:

"Teach these things and insist that everyone learn them. Don't let anyone think less of you because you are young. Be an example to all believers in what you say, in the way you live, in your love, your faith, and your purity." (1 Timothy 4:11-12)

Listen to me.... We are not going back to the glory days and in many ways I don't want to go back. I want to move closer to the day when Jesus Christ returns in his glory. The young people today will face increasing trials and tribulations. They already face seemingly impossible challenges. We adults need to be there encouraging them to persevere, to love God, to seek wise counsel, and to not let people look down on them. Our responsibility is to raise them up in their knowledge and love of Jesus Christ. Our duty is not to criticize and belittle. Our duty is not to live in the past. Our duty is to live right now and guide the next generation into a loving, lasting relationship with Jesus. I praise God every day for the young people in my life. What about you?


Comments