Ugly or Beautiful?

 


I am always amazed at how certain thoughts come up over and over again as I study God's word. It seems UGLINESS is a recurring theme in my study this week. 

Today, I was starting a brief study of the book of Esther for my own personal devotions. The focus of King Xerxes on physical beauty, outward appearance, and superficial character traits is really "cringe-worthy!" Queen Vashti lost her crown because she refused to be paraded in front of the King and his party as a trophy. The entire story of Esther reeks of that focus on superficial, outward appearance. The good news is that God worked through that superficial framework to save the nation of Israel.

"On the seventh day of the feast, when King Xerxes was in high spirits because of the wine, he told the seven eunuchs who attended him - Mehuman, Biztha, Harbona, Bigtha, Abagtha, Zethar, and Carcas -- to bring Quen Vashti to him with the royal crown on her head. He wanted the nobles and all the other men to gaze on her beauty, for she was a beautiful woman. But, when they conveyed the king's order to Queen Vashti, she refused to come. This made the king furious, and he burned with anger." (Esther 1:10-12)

This week, my discipleship group at Grace & Mercy continued our study of the Sermon on the Mount, and we were talking about worry. 

"And why worry about your clothing? Look at the lilies of the field and how they grow. They don't work or make their clothing, yet Solomon, in all his glory, was not dressed as beautifully as they are. And if God cares so wonderfully for the wildflowers that are here today and thrown into the fire tomorrow, he will certainly care for you. Why do you have so little faith?" (Matthew 6:28-30)

I asked the ladies in our group if they thought they were UGLY or BEAUTIFUL. On the spectrum between these two descriptors, where would they consider themselves? Do they think they are MORE ugly or MORE beautiful? How do we compare ourselves to the lilies of the field? I think many people consider themselves ugly, both physically and spiritually. God doesn't see us like that. When we accept Jesus as our Lord, he wipes out all the internal ugliness, and he sees us as the spotless lamb that HE is. I praise God for his wonderful love!

God did not create the flowers in his own image... HE CREATED US IN HIS OWN IMAGE! In the eyes of God, we are beautiful. Even with our flaws, our sins, and our "ugliness," God only sees the beauty. 1 Samuel 16:7 says, "The Lord looks at the heart," and Psalm 139:14 says, "I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." 

God, don't make junk! LOL!

I don't care if we are talking about inner beauty or outward beauty. GOD thinks you are beautiful and so do I. 


Comments