One Meaning - Many Applications
The Lord has been laying on my heart the common occurrence in our society of FALSE TEACHING. There are so many people who never read scripture, never truly study God's word, yet they "preach" it from their own perspective. They are claiming a UNIQUE GOSPEL very different than the one spoken of throughout the Bible. That disunity in the church has caused splits in churches and the rising up of entire denominations that preach this FALSE GOSPEL.
So, today, I start reading Galatians, and what appears but these words:
"I am shocked that you are turning away so soon from God, who called you to himself through the loving mercy of Christ. You are following a different way that pretends to be the Good News but it is not the Good News at all. You are being fooled by those who deliberately twist the truth concerning Christ. Let God's curse fall on anyone, including us or even an angel from heaven, who preaches a different kind of Good News than the one we preached to you." (Galatians 1:6-8, NLT)
How much time do you really spend studying God's word? I am addicted to learning and learning the depth of God's word feeds that great desire. I cannot just sit by idly listening to someone else tell me what God's word says. I need to see it and read it and study it for myself. And I firmly believe that SCRIPTURE has ONE INTERPRETATION, One MEANING and we are to seek that meaning.
Yet, that one meaning can speak to us, through the power of the HOLY SPIRIT, in many different ways. The application of God's word in our lives is unique, but that does not mean we can use a scripture in a way that is contrary to God's original intent. A fine line has to be walked. Just remember this:
ONE MEANING - MANY APPLICATIONS.
But, those applications should never conflict with the intent of the composer and will never conflict with the rest of God's word. The Pharisees were famous for twisting scripture to mean something never intended. Here is what Jesus said about that;
"Jesus replied, "Your mistake is that you don't know the Scriptures, and you don't know the power of God." (Matthew 22:29, NLT)
Be careful, study hard, don't just take the word of ANYONE. Make sure you are being taught by a faithful pastor who speaks God's word plainly and follows, not just the simple passage, but follows the message of the entire Bible. False teachers are everywhere. Be discerning and learning God's word for yourself.
Heavenly Father, I praise your name for how you speak through your word. I love and cherish your word. Please guide me in the way to teach your word. Guide and direct my thoughts that they are not my own, but they are your thoughts. Help me to recognize false teaching and completely remove it from my life. Thank You Lord! Amen!

Comments
Post a Comment