Don't let me mess this up!


What is the one thing you want most in your current situation? If you were going to ask God for one thing, for yourself, what would it be? A lifetime of wealth could be helpful? But, knowing myself and probably most people, I don't think we would manage unlimited wealth very well. Just look at people who win millions in the lottery. Would you ask for perfect health? But, would that mean never dying, not going to heaven? I am not sure that is a good deal either. Would you ask for peace in your life? That certainly would be tempting. But, I realize how I have grown so much through trial and testing, that I am not sure that is positive either. 

Maybe, Solomon weighed all those choices when he settled on WISDOM --

"That night God appeared to Solomon and said, 'What do you want? Ask, and I will give it to you!' Solomon replied, 'You showed great and faithful love to David, my father, and now you have made me king in his place. O Lord God, please continue to keep your promise to David my father, for you have made me king over a people as numerous as the dust of the earth! Give me the wisdom and knowledge to lead them properly, for who could possibly govern this great people of yours?" (2 Chronicles 1:7-10, NLT)

Solomon didn't just ask God for wisdom in general, he asked for wisdom to lead in a job the Lord appointed him. I get the sense that Solomon was realizing the monumental task ahead of him and realized there is no way he could do this on his own. I expect he realized it would take more than wealth to get the task done. So, he asks for wisdom and knowledge to complete he task.

I ask the same thing of the Lord every day. The difference, I am not as eloquent as Solomon. My request always goes something like this:

"Dear Lord, don't let me mess this thing up!"

I have been given a task I completely feel inadequate for. I don't have years  and years of experience, knowledge or wisdom to fulfill my duties as pastor. I have to completely rely upon the Lord, I can't do this on my own, even if I wanted to. I have to rely upon the Lord and I pray constantly for his wisdom and knowledge leading this flock. Solomon probably thought the same thing.

"Don't let me mess this up!"

Heavenly Father, I praise you for the gift of service to you. I praise you and am amazed that you have chosen me to serve SMDCOG. Please, Lord, don't let me mess this up. Grant me your wisdom, knowledge, strength, mercy, and grace to lead this flock, expanding this flock so as to GROW YOUR KINGDOM. I have no other desire. I know I cannot do this without you. Amen!

____________________________________________

If you haven't repented of your sin, accepted what Jesus did for you on the cross, dying for your sins, or if you have not committed your life to Jesus, TODAY could be that day. give your life to the Lord. 

"because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved." (Romans 10:9-10, ESV)

If you gave your life to Jesus today, text the word "faith" to (765)-896-4302 and we will follow up with material for you and join you in your walk of faith!


Comments