ARE YOU A READER, or not?

 


ARE YOU A READER?

I hear so many people have a hard time reading and comprehending. So how do you get God's word outside of SUNDAY MORNING. GOD SPEAKS through his word and if you do not read, you are missing out on a key part of life with GOD! (For those that struggle, AT LEAST listen to scripture through the BIBLE AP)

How committed are you to God's word? 

I was at a Bible Study last night and we were talking about reading through the Bible in the year. Now don't get me wrong, if you have not ever read the bible, reading scripture at all is a great first step. I remember when I really started READING scripture and was so proud that I read through the entire Bible for five straight years. But then I realized I was just accomplishing a task. I was reading, but I was not letting the Spirit of the Lord really speak to me through his word. So, I slowed down and I started journaling. That gave birth to this blog, many, many, many years ago. Slowing down forced me into listening to God speak through his word.

Today I was reading Matthew 22 and read the story of the King who threw a banquet and no one came. His servants went out and invited everyone, the good and the bad. Finally some came to the celebration and here is the ending of that story:

"But when the king came in to meet the guests, he noticed a man who wasn't wearing the proper clothes for a wedding. 'Friend,' he asked, 'how is it that you are here without wedding clothes?' But the man had no reply. Then the king said to his aides, 'Bind his hands and feet and throw him into the outer darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth. For many are called, but few are chosen.'" (Matthew 22:11-14, NLT)

I have always been a little shocked by this story. I thought, HOW RUDE, to invite someone and then cast them out just because they didn't have the proper clothes. But, WAIT, I read a little bit about the context of this story in the first century. 

If you were invited to a KINGS FEAST you would be GIVEN the proper clothes to wear. In this story, the guest that was thrown out REFUSED TO WEAR what he had been given. 

NOW THE STORY MADE SENSE!

We are just like that stubborn guest. God is giving us the gift of salvation and we are ALL INVITED to the wedding feast with the proper clothes. But, we have refused the gift of salvation just like the guest refused the gift of the proper clothes. When we refuse the gift of salvation we will also be cast out. 

My POINT: 

You can't just READ SCRIPTURE. YOU need to pursue scripture, you need to dig, you need to reflect upon it. You need to let it SPEAK to you. So in the wisdom of my past, I strongly recommend NOT READING through the Bible in a year. I recommend getting a good STUDY BIBLE, shorten your reading each day and just sit in the scripture of the day. Read one story, read ten verses, at most one chapter, read it multiple times, pray over it, and LISTEN TO THE LORD!

Heavenly Father, we thank you so much for the gift of your word. Please forgive us when we look at it as a task to be accomplished instead of a place where you speak to us. Please take my time in your word, and bless it. Speak to me Lord, not for any other reason, except that I want to sit in your presence. Amen!

____________________________________________

If you haven't repented of your sin, accepted what Jesus did for you on the cross, dying for your sins, or if you have not committed your life to Jesus, TODAY could be that day. give your life to the Lord. 

"because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved." (Romans 10:9-10, ESV)

If you gave your life to Jesus today, text the word "faith" to (765)-896-4302 and we will follow up with material for you and join you in your walk of faith!


Comments