Do it -- Make your PUBLIC PROFESSION of FAITH!
On September 20th, South Memorial is holding another Baptism service. I love participating in Baptisms. I love the deep symbolism of having our sins washed away, dying to sin and being raised to new life. Baptism is an outward visible sign of who we belong to. We are making a proclamation that JESUS IS THE LORD OF OUR LIFE. There is no more powerful statement of faith in this life.
I was reading today Matthew 3, where Jesus was baptized.
"Then Jesus went from Galilee to the Jordan River to be baptized by John. But John tried to talk him out of it. 'I am the one who needs to be baptized by you,' he said, 'so why are you coming to me?' But Jesus said, 'It should be done, for we must carry out all that God requires.'" (Matthew 3:13-15, NLT)
Jesus did not need his sins washed away. He was the perfect sinless man. His choice to be baptized is the foundation of why I believe baptism is a SYMBOLIC ACT and not an act of salvation. Baptism is a public profession of faith in Jesus. It is a public statement that I BELONG TO THE GOD of the UNIVERSE. Jesus didn't have to be baptized and we do not NEED to be baptized for our salvation. Even so, we are commanded to follow Jesus' example and make this powerful statement.
I love to tell of my baptism. A few years ago I made a trip to Israel. There was an offer to be baptized in the Jordan River several months before the trip. I prayed and prayed about this opportunity because when I was baptized at 12 years old, I was baptized as a prerequisite to join the Methodist Church. So naturally I agreed. But, in my opinion, I was not baptized for the right reason and so I decided to get Baptized in the Jordan River in Israel. I decided I needed to make a public statement of faith. I didn't need to. I wanted to! The picture above is the Jordan River, the site where Jesus may have been baptized and where I was baptized proclaiming my faith in him!
It was a little odd being baptized as an adult going through seminary, but it was so important for my walk with the Lord. I praise God for his salvation and proclaiming it to the world is the very least I can do for the Kingdom.
Thank You LORD, for washing away my sins. Thank you Lord for your sacrifice on the cross. I will shout your name from the mountain tops because of what you have done for me. Help me Lord continue to proclaim your greatness. Help me Lord to remember, daily, that I am yours, washed clean by the blood of Calvary. Amen!
____________________________________________
If you haven't repented of your sin, accepted what Jesus did for you on the cross, dying for your sins, or if you have not committed your life to Jesus, TODAY could be that day. give your life to the Lord.
"because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved." (Romans 10:9-10, ESV)
If you gave your life to Jesus today, text the word "faith" to (765)-896-4302 and we will follow up with material for you and join you in your walk of faith!

Comments
Post a Comment