What is the secret of long life?
If you have rad this blog or any length of time you will know I want to live to be ONE HUNDRED YEARS OLD. It has been a dream and I am really not sure why. I don't dwell on that goal, but it is in the periphery of my thoughts. Today, when I was reading Genesis 5, I was reading the genealogies of the first families in scripture. Of course I was fascinated by their years, especially Methuselah. 969 years of life. I have to chuckle because we often think of milestone birth days like our 50th. In Methuselah years 50 years old is like being 5 years old in my lifetime. On Methuselah's fiftieth birthday, he was just getting started.
"When Methuselah was 187 years old, he became the father of Lamech. After the birth of Lamech, Methuselah lived another 782 years, and he had other sons and daughters. Methuselah lived 969 years, and then died." (Genesis 5:25-27, NLT)
What is the secret of long life?
If I want to live to be one hundred, which is a milestone in modern times, does it matter what I eat or drink. Does it matter the climate I live in? Does it matter what job I perform? Does it matter how well I take care of my body? What is the primary factor of long life?
Exodus tells us that if we honor our father and mother we will live a long life. Proverbs says that if we remember the teachings of God will prolong our life. It also says the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom and wisdom extends your days. Peter tells us to keep our tongue from evil and keep your lips from deceitful speech.
If you put all of this together and if you just use a little common sense, you can summarize what it takes to live long. Life with JESUS is the key. All the other things, like avoiding sweets, working out, refraining from alcohol, getting plenty of rest, ALL OF THOSE THINGS MATTER, but life with Jesus is like drinking from the fountain of youth.
"Jesus told him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the Father except through me." (John 14:6, NLT)
So, if I live to be one hundred it will only happen because I have lived with Jesus. He is LIFE!
Heavenly Father, I want nothing more than to do your will. I want to live 100 years for the simple reason it means I have lived all of those years with you. Thank you Lord for this wonderful life. Give me strength to serve you, to do your will, to share your message of love, and to live a life every day that focuses on you and your Kingdom. Amen!
____________________________________________
If you haven't repented of your sin, accepted what Jesus did for you on the cross, dying for your sins, or if you have not committed your life to Jesus, TODAY could be that day. give your life to the Lord.
"because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved." (Romans 10:9-10, ESV)
If you gave your life to Jesus today, text the word "faith" to (765)-896-4302 and we will follow up with material for you and join you in your walk of faith!

Comments
Post a Comment